Dry skin requires particular care and attention as it is prone to a variety of problems. Regular moisturizing and application of other protective lotions and treatments is necessary on a regular basis. This is done to avoid the common conditions that this skin type is susceptible to.
Unfortunately most skin care products that are of a good enough quality come with a huge price tag. Most of us fail to realize that nature offers us some of the best natural remedies for dry skin. These natural remedies are not only cost effective, but also quite efficient and are very easily available.
1. Drink lots of water. It helps to keep your body hydrated and can alleviate dry skin to a great extent. Eight to ten glasses is the minimum quantity, but ideally you should drink much more than that
2. A warm glass of milk mixed with a teaspoon or two of almond oil, before bedtime, can work wonders.
3. Baby lotion is one of the best moisturizing lotions that you can use on your skin. Moisturizing lotions for adults often contain other chemicals that may actually make your skin drier.
4. Before going for a bath, rub some honey all over your body and leave it on for five to ten minutes. Honey is one of the best natural moisturizers.
5.This tip dates back to thousands of years when queens bathed in milk. Yes, soaking in a tub filled with milk and warm water can do wonders for skin!
6. Instead of opting for expensive moisturizing creams that are available in the market, rub some sesame oil all over your body after your shower.
7. Coconut or avocado oil is also really good for treating dry skin.
8. You can even make a paste out of avocadoes and apply it all over your body to nourish your skin.
9. This tip may make you feel as if you’ve been dunked in a bowl of cereal, but it’s an excellent remedy for dry skin. Simply blend some baking soda, oatmeal, and vanilla extract in to a paste and mix it in a tub of warm water. Soak in the tub for as long as you like and say goodbye to dry skin.
10. You can also rub some oatmeal on your hands before washing them.
11. Petroleum jelly is one of the best remedies for dry lips, hands, and feet.
12. Glycerin oil is also a good remedy for dry skin.
13. Conditioned air is dry and really affects your skin. If you can’t avoid sitting in an air conditioned room all day, at least get a humidifier, or keep a bucket half filled with water next to you to humidify the air.
14. Nothing beats a hot shower or soaking in a tub of hot water on a cold winter’s day. Unfortunately, hot water really dries the skin. Opt for warm water instead.
15. The soap that you use may be responsible for your dry skin. Switch to natural soaps that do not contain any harmful chemicals. Doing so can really make a big difference to your dry skin problem.
16. If you use a lot of detergents your hands may become dry and the skin may begin to crack. Wear rubber gloves when handling detergents, or switch to a detergent that is classified as being soft on the hands.
17. Does your face feel itchy every time you wash it? Try this: mix an egg yolk with a teaspoon each of olive oil and orange juice, and add some drops of rose water and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your face and leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off.
18. Oil fish like salmon are not only rich in essential fatty acids, consuming them regularly can also help alleviate dry skin.
19. Are you suffering from dry and cracked heels? Rub the inside of a banana peel on your heels and watch all the dry skin disappear.
20. Bananas can also be used to treat dry skin on your face and neck. Just mash a banana (ripe ones work better) and apply it like a face pack. After some time wash your face with warm water.
21. Do include plenty of fruit in your diet.
22. If you’re a smoker, quit. Smoking is really bad for your skin. If you don’t believe me, Google the term “smoker’s face”.
23. Exercise. How does this work? When you exercise, you sweat. This unblocks your pores, and allows the natural oils to come to the surface and hydrate your skin.
24. Try to include spices such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander in your diet. They help to soothe and relieve dry skin.
25. Get sufficient sleep. Your body requires at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. Lack of sleep really affects the skin.